Compared to previous chatbots, ChatGPT and its ilk are set to revolutionize ITMS. But firms need to gain users’ long-term trust.
As an advanced language model, ChatGPT can potentially transform the world of IT Service Management (ITSM) in several ways.
For instance, the bot’s advanced natural language processing can improve the efficiency and effectiveness of IT support by understanding and responding to user queries and requests in a human-like manner, 24/7.
Satish Kumar V, CEO, EverestIMS Technologies, shares more about the benefits of generative AI in ITSM with DigiconAsia.net
DigiconAsia: How will generative AI bots boost the ITSM experience?
Satish Kumar V (SK): ITSM involves the management of IT services and infrastructure within an organization, and ChatGPT can play a role in facilitating communication and support between IT personnel and end-users. For instance, ChatGPT and other generative AI NLP solutions can offer:
- Faster response times, with quick responses to common IT issues, freeing up IT personnel to focus on more complex problems
- Improved user experience by providing 24/7 support to end-users, allowing them to get assistance outside of traditional business hours, leading to higher user satisfaction and reduced frustration
- Better data analysis on common IT issues and user requests, providing valuable insights into areas that may need improvement — provided that it these are implemented thoughtfully and considering the needs of both IT personnel and end-users
- Analysis of data from multiple sources, such as ticket history and knowledge bases, to quickly identify the root cause of an incident and provide a solution, leading to reduced time to resolve incidents and improve user satisfaction
- Quick self-learning based on previous data, to create models to resolve typical repetitive issues very quickly — and also provide additional information on new tickets and problems faced
- Assistance with change management by analyzing the impact of proposed changes on the IT infrastructure and recommending the best course of action based on historical data and current trends, helping to preempt potential issues
DigiconAsia: From the Asian perspective, what do you think about the acceptance of new-age AI tools for customer service as a whole?
SK: In this region, the acceptance of new-age AI tools for customer service has been growing steadily in recent years. As in other regions, businesses in Asia have recognized the benefits of using AI to enhance customer services operations. One of the main drivers is the growing adoption of digital technologies in the region (due to the pandemic), which has led to a shift in customer preferences towards more self-service options and digital channels.
- Businesses are increasingly turning to AI-powered chatbots, virtual assistants, and other automated tools to deliver faster and more efficient customer service experiences.
- Another factor contributing to the acceptance of new-age AI tools for customer service is the increasing availability of advanced AI technologies, such as NLP and ML, which have greatly improved the ability of AI systems to understand and respond to customer inquiries.
DigiconAsia: In customer support, sensitive information may need to be acquired by chatbots: what measures can be implement to gain users’ trust?
SK: Organizations need to mandate absolute maintenance of the confidentiality and security of sensitive information by implementing appropriate security protocols and encryption measures.
For example, ChatGPT provides options to delete any sensitive information provided by the user after it has been processed, ensuring that it is not stored or accessed by anyone else. Also:
- Organizations can use ITSM bots in conjunction with other security measures, such as two-factor authentication or multi-level verification processes, to ensure that only authorized individuals can access the information. All user identities for ChatGPT or other generative AI bots should follow the highest security protocols for access and authentication. Care should be taken to mandate Zero Trust, data loss prevention and access control.
- The trustworthiness of ITSM automation with generative AI ultimately depends on the security measures and protocols implemented strictly by the organization.
Only when generative AI is implemented thoughtfully and with full consideration of data privacy, data security and the needs of both IT personnel and end-users, will users put long-term trust in the services.
DigiconAsia thanks Satish Kumar V for contributing his insights on generative AI trends.